When you hear off-grid solar system, what comes into your mind? What about off grid solar system packages, what do you think this is? These are packages that you find already sized for a specific load.
Off Grid Solar System Packages
By this, I mean that the solar components are sold together as a “plug and play” system. You get to choose the package that best suits your house load and you are sorted. The package includes all the solar energy systems(solar panels, solar charge controller, solar battery, and inverter).
When this system is pre-assembled in one housing and given a provision to plug in your solar panel array, it stops being referred to as an off-grid package and it becomes a solar energy generator. In these systems, you may find different components from different companies.
Today we look at an inverter which is often used in such packages or better said, an inverter that is suitable for solar off-grid packages and solar generators.
The Review – AIMS Power 1500 Watt 12 VDC Pure Sine Inverter
The review today is for 1500 watts inverter, it is a pure sine wave inverter. pure sine wave means the output voltage of a sine-wave inverter has a sine wave-form like the sine wave-form of the mains/utility voltage. In a sine wave, the voltage rises and falls smoothly with a smoothly changing phase angle and also changes its polarity instantly when it crosses 0 Volts. Our inverter is AIMS Power 1500 Watt 12 VDC Pure Sine Inverter Charger w/ 4500W Surge
Product: AIMS Power 1500 Watt 12 VDC Pure Sine Inverter Charger w/ 4500W Surge
Cheapest Place to buy: Amazon
Power rating: 1500 watts
Surge Power: 4500 watts
Item ASIN number: PICOGLF15W12V120VR
My ratings: 9 out of 10
The Product description.
The AIMS 1500 Watt Low-Frequency Inverter Charger is great for most off-grid systems, semi-trucks, 5th Wheels, Toy Haulers or any remote location needing power. Providing 1500 watts of continuous, clean and reliable pure sine wave power, ideal for sensitive electronics and household appliances. If needed, this inverter has the capability of producing 4500 watts of total surge power for 20 seconds, for startup applications like refrigerators, computers, fans and microwaves (if running more than 1500 watt often, we strongly recommend purchasing a larger inverter).
This inverter boasts a 50 amp charger and automatic transfer switch. For use with shore power or generator power to recharge your batteries or as a back-up for your sump pump, medical equipment, lighting system or security and surveillance system
The Inverter has an internal charger for the batteries. It is selectable for the type of batteries. It manages to keep my multiple batteries charged on different applications. The temperature probe is used in conjunction with the optional control panel to monitor the condition of the batteries to make sure that they do not overheat during the charge cycle.
- 1500 watt continuous pure sine power. The inverter manages to keep almost everything powered in your house. 1500 watts is its capacity. Meaning you add up your house load up to about 1300watts and the inverter will power all of them. Keep in mind that you don’t give the exact load of the inverter rating. You must give a provision for an inverter fan use and power losses. To know more, read our article on how to build your own solar system
- A 4500-watt peak for up to 20s. Ever switched the fridge and it made a lot of noise and then it went back to its normal operation mode. Why do you think refrigerators make a lot of noise at first? The fridge uses a compressor which needs a lot of power to go on than to stay on. That’s why this inverter gives a peak power for 20 seconds for such home appliances.
- Multi-stage smart battery charger with 8 battery charger settings. This gives provision for various parameters that are needed by different batteries to recharge.
- Automatic generator start capability
- Optional Power Saver Mode. This mode is an essential one, what the inverter does is that it uses its intelligence to sense for how much load is connected to it. After that, the inverter only gives what is needed. By this I mean if the inverter senses that it is only the television set that is connected as the load, instead of giving full power, it will only give out the power needed to buy the TV and saves the rest.
- Continuous output power: 1500 Watt
- Surge rating: 4500 Watt (20 seconds)
- Output waveform: pure sine
- Output terminal breaker – 20 A
- Output voltage: 120 VAC
- Nominal efficiency: >88% (peak)
- Line mode efficiency: >95%
- Output frequency: 50Hz +/- 0.3Hz / 60Hz +/- 0.3Hz
- Typical transfer time: 10ms (max)
- THD: < 10% DC
- Nominal input voltage: 12.0 VDC
- Minimum start voltage: 10.0 VDC
- Low battery alarm: 10.5VDC-11.0 VDC
- Low battery trip: 10.0 VDC-10.5 VDC
- High voltage alarm: 16.0 VDC
- Low battery voltage restart: 15.5 VDC
- Input/charger breaker – 20 A
- Idle consumption: 13.5 W
- Power saver mode idle consumption: 8 W
The inverter charge is an alternative wave provided to charge the batteries during the days of autonomy. Days of autonomy are those days where there is no sun and the solar panels are operating poorly. The charger uses AC power to charge the batteries only when the system is grid tied.
- Output voltage: depends on battery type
- Charger Rate: 50A
- Overcharge protection shutdown (15.7V). When the battery fully charges the inverter senses the situation and switches off the charge at 15.7 volts of the battery to prevent overcharging.
- Selectable charge setting based on battery type
- Adjustable charge current off-20%-100%
- Four stage smart charger
- Unit weight: 37.5 lbs.
- Unit size L x W x H: 14.1 x 8.74 x 7.10 inches
- Shipping weight: 42 lbs.
- Shipping size L x W x H: 20.75 x 12.75 x 12.5 inches
An inverter is a device that converts DC or Direct Current power (the type of electricity stored in batteries) into AC or Alternating Current power (the type of power we use at home). With an inverter, the power stored in a 12-volt battery such as the kind used in a car/truck/RV or a battery power pack can then be used to run devices and appliances that would normally only operate while plugged into a wall outlet in your home or business. With a battery and inverter combination such as the AIMS Power 1500 Watt 12 VDC Pure Sine Inverter Charger w/ 4500W Surge, you have the ability to operate tools and other equipment away from a wall outlet and when you have no grid power at all. How cool is that?
This might be one of the coolest off-grid solar system packages out there! What do you think?
Want to see what people who have bought this off grid solar system packages?
Please, if you found this review interesting make sure to share it using the share buttons below (Facebook, Twitter, etc)!
Wish you the best!
Solar installer, PV technician and co-founder of:
Leave a Reply