Today we point out a Solar Battery charger 12 volts. Our job is to find you the best chargers out there and present them on this site. The basics of any solar energy system must involve; solar panels, solar charge controller, battery banks and an inverter if your house is powered by AC (alternating current).
If you main power was DC (direct current), the inverter would have no use. Among all these components, we have reviewed quite a number of them and we are still doing so. We want our visitors to find a variety of solar products for their comparison.
For our review today we are going to look at Solar Battery chargers 12 volts. This means we are going to review a solar charge controller.
A solar charge controller is a very significant to solar energy system in that no solar system can do without it. sometimes are usually integrated into the inverters, but in most cases, they are found as a single component independent of the system.
Solar battery chargers 12 volt – Review of a top contender
Today we review a solar charge controller that has been reviewed by many in Amazon.it is a 12/24 volts solar charge controller and rated with a current of 20 amperes. It All Powers 20A Solar Charger Controller Solar Panel Battery Intelligent Regulator with USB Port display 12V/24V.
Product: It All Powers 20A Solar Charger Controller Solar Panel Battery Intelligent Regulator with USB Port display 12V/24V.
Cheapest Place to buy: Amazon
Power rating: 20A
Item ASIN number: AP-OT-002-BBLU
My ratings: 9.7 out of 10
This Solar Battery chargers 12-volt controller comes with cool features that make your solar energy super stable. It has functions of protecting your solar panels and battery bank. The controller provides provision for connection of solar panels, the battery bank and DC loads. It also has a USB output rated 5 volts and 3 Amperes suitable for simple electronics charging.
The solar charge controller can automatically manage the working of solar panel and battery in solar system. It is easy to set up and operate.For protecting the lifespan of your battery, once the voltage of the battery drop below 8V, the solar controller will turn off automatically (LCD will be unavailable at the same time).
- The rated charging Current: 20A to the battery bank. During installation, you will have to determine the size of your battery bank that can be charged by this particular solar charge controller. Or else you might install it with a big battery bank and it fails to work. that way you blame your system calculations, not the controller.
- USB Output Voltage: 5V/3A; This provision is for charging small electronics such as phone and power banks. Just like the way you charge your phone using laptops, this is the same way it works. While using Dc in your house without an inverter, if you plug in phone charge to your Dc socket, the phone wont charge, this is because a phone charge uses AC.thats why the solar charge controller gives this USB charging ports.
- Battery Voltage: 12V/24V auto. This feature gives you a choice of using either 12 or 24 volts battery bank which is a very important feature in the solar system. Take for instance you have two 12volts batteries each rated 1ooAH. Depending on the appliance you are using you will be able to know what connection to use. If you have an appliance rated 24v, then you will have to connect the batteries in series to achieve 24 volts from the batteries.
- Equipped with industrial-grade STM 8 microprocessor to control which control the charging and discharging function of the solar charge controller. Some may ask how? when the battery is connected to the controller, it can either charge or discharge. Discharge happens when the load is connected to the controller when the panels are not generating electricity(mostly at night). The controller now draws power from the battery from the to power the loads. So to control this process the controller is equipped with the STM 8 microprocessor.
It is important to have protection measures not only in Solar Battery chargers 12 volts but also in the overall solar energy system. But the protection should start from the individual component in case the system protection measures fails. Below is protection measures incorporated in our solar charge controller.
- Over-current. Overcurrent is the excessive flow of current. This may cause harm to the appliances and also to the conductors curring the current. In some cases over current may cause a fire but not always.
- Short-circuit protection. It has a built-in tripping mechanism to protect from short-circuiting. In systems, this is done by circuit breakers.
- Inverse connection protection is the protection against the interchange of polarity
- Low voltage, and overcharge protection.
- To change the default settings of the solar charge controller you will need to have the following parameters meet.
You will have to disconnect solar panels completely from the system. this I because you will only need to power the solar charge controller to change settings which are done by the battery bank.
- When you disconnect the battery, you will need to make sure that the battery voltage level is at least 12volts which are the rating of our solar charge controller. If not you will have to charge it to that level or else the process of changing the settings will not be successful.ensure the remaining voltage battery is not less than 12V.
Storage and Applications
- PLEASE store the solar charge controller in a cool place and well ventilated. This way will help in maintaining a good heat dissipation.
- The type of Solar Battery chargers 12 volts is only suitable for the lead acid batteries: OPEN, AGM, GEL which is the widely used type of batteries in the solar industry.
- During the installation, you will have to make sure that your battery has voltage to get recognized by the solar charge controller. Otherwise, don’t judge, the controller is not working before you confirm the battery voltage.
- The solar charge controller is not suitable for nickel hydride, lithium, ions batteries and other batteries. Apart from the lead-acid batteries: OPEN, AGM, GEL
- As much as the controller has protection, avoid short circuit.
- The product show voltage reading of solar panels and battery bank, NOT Ampere or Ampere hours.
Package Dimensions: 5.6 x 3 x 1.7 inches
Item Weight: 7.2 ounces
Shipping Weight: 7.2 ounces (View shipping rates and policies)
Item model number: AP-OT-002-BBLU
Customer Reviews: 4.1 out of 5 stars 285 customer reviews
The Solar Battery charger 12 volt comes with a display that clearly indicates the solar panel status together with that of the solar battery bank. The device can be easily switched to parameters that correctly fit in your house, industry or commercial use.
This solar charge controller is durable and can be used in a small system and also in the grid-tied solar system where inverters are involved. I would recommend this fully not only because of its super cool features but also because of its fair price, it is one of the best chargers out there.
Remember, here at installoffgridsolarsystem.com we make going solar easier for you. Keep calm and tell us what you think about our reviews and solar energy in general.
Please, if you found this review interesting make sure to share it using the share buttons below (Facebook, Twitter, etc)!
Wish you the best!
Solar installer, PV technician and co-founder of: